- Talking ain't what it used to be.
- Telephones are cool, even though it ain't face-to-face.
- IMs are cool, even though there's no voice.
- But SMS (oh, my!) is the bane of our existence and the demise of Westen Civ.!
- And Twitter! Don't get me started! I don't get it, but don't get me started!
- If we had a Twitter account, we would wear our Luddite tendencies on our sleeves!
"There's some misunderstanding here...twitter, backchannel, etc. isn't necessarily multi-tasking. When you're focused on the topic that you're hearing about, and thinking/responding to it through various media, it's the same task for you. It's just a different way to take notes. I find it interesting that people rarely see taking notes in a lecture as multi-tasking, but twitter is. For some of us, our brains don't stop asking questions during a lecture. These other media allow us to ask those questions, and in some ways declutter our brains and capture our reactions. As a bonus, I can also get some response to that process (say, another expert telling me that the information I'm listening to has been debunked already) with the same ease as glancing at the clock in the room."
Interactive note-taking. Funny that journalism students (or their advisors) wouldn't think of that.
Of course, that may be why newspapers are failing.....